Thursday, April 3, 2008

Healthy recipe of the week

SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TACO CHILI
Makes 14 servings

I actually decided to add this today because I made it this morning to have for dinner tonight. I just love my slow cooker: Dinner's waiting when I get home and it makes the house smell simply amazing. This recipe is beyond simple and the end result is so delicious. I make a couple substitutions because I hate anything too salty, which Mexican food can easily become.

Ingredients:
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 16-oz can black beans
• 1 16-oz can kidney beans
• 1 16-oz can corn drained (or bag of frozen for less salt)
• 1 8-oz can tomato sauce (I use no salt added)
• 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
• 1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning (I use the 33% less salt, and then only half the packet)
• 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
1. Combine everything in the slow cooker except the chicken, stir.
2. Lay the chicken breasts on top and cover.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (recommended) or high for 3-4 hours.
4. 30 minutes before you serve it, shred the chicken and mix all ingredients.
5. Serve either in a bowl with a bit of cheese and sour cream, or with tortilla shells or chips.

No comments: